Re: Linux is not for consumers!

scripsit Monique Y. Herman:

> A lot of times, people post very app-specific questions to, say, this
> debian-user list.  I've done this myself.  Perhaps no one on this list
> has the expertise required.  If you have a question about mutt (that
> doesn't involve installation through apt), you're probably best off
> asking on the mutt mailing list.  If you have a question about vim ...
> etc.

OTOH, there is a great pool of knowledge here, and many people are not
able to follow the mailing list for every app they use.  If it's a
very technical question (e.g., trying to track down why gimp segfaults
when you do a particular action) it's obviously more appropriate for the
app's list.  If it's more general, and you don't know whether it might
be Debian-specific (e.g., an app just stopped working after I
dist-upgraded a testing box) this is a pretty good resource to exhaust
first before going to the app people.

--
Pax vobiscum; pax cum omnibus.
.