Install Debian

Hello,

    I have just installed Red Hat Linux 9.0 on my PC (Intel Pentium 233 Mhz MMX, Ram 64 Mo, Disk space 8 Go, Graphic card : Matrox Millenium 4 Mo). There was no problem during installation. However, everything is extremely slow : the least application (even the desktop menu) takes several minutes to open.

    Please advise : Can Debian Linux do better ? And what is better : upgrade Red Hat to Debian or install Debian from zero ?

    Thank you in advance.

    Cordially,
    JosephMichel@wanadoo.fr