Re: Install Debian

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:04:39 +0100,
"Joseph MICHEL" <JosephMichel@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
<[🔎] 000801c3bf2e$efe6ff80$9c9cf851@mshome.net>:

> Hello,
>
>     I have just installed Red Hat Linux 9.0 on my PC (Intel Pentium
>     233 Mhz MMX, Ram 64 Mo, Disk space 8 Go, Graphic card : Matrox
>     Millenium 4 Mo). There was no problem during installation.
>     However, everything is extremely slow : the least application
>     (even the desktop menu) takes several minutes to open.

..last time I installed RH9, recommendation said 128MB ram and 400MHz
cpu speed as a recommended minimum.  ;-)

>     Please advise : Can Debian Linux do better ? And what is better :
>     upgrade Red Hat to Debian or install Debian from zero ?

..yep, do whichever is easier for you, Debian can make use of your
current disk slices, you wanna back up /home and /usr/local and
possibly parts of /var, and make a tarball of /etc with
 ' tar zcvf /home/old-etc.tar.gz  /etc ', handy for references in case
Debian backfires on you by not seeing some hardware.

...then let the debian installer overwrite all else of your RH9'er
install.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: