Re: Install Debian

Joseph MICHEL wrote:
Hello,
I have just installed Red Hat Linux 9.0 on my PC (Intel Pentium 233 Mhz MMX, Ram 64 Mo, Disk space 8 Go, Graphic card : Matrox Millenium 4 Mo). There was no problem during installation. However, everything is extremely slow : the least application (even the desktop menu) takes several minutes to open. Please advise : Can Debian Linux do better ? And what is better : upgrade Red Hat to Debian or install Debian from zero ?

If you want the funtionality of A nice desktop, but need the speed, try installing xfce4 (will will mean grabbing the debs from unstable or even probally testing).

Also install discover, apt-get install discover

This will save you a lot of time, as this is debians hardware detection library, and so far I've found it perfect, basically it's responsable for auto loading the required kernel modules on boot.

Mark