Re: troubles with tar, compression and cron

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 15:39, Jukka Salmi wrote:

> The command which causes this error is 'tar -czf /dev/nst0 ...'. The same
> error happenes if I use bzip2 (tar -j). Not using compression at all solves

Just a wild guess... try to omit the dash, like 'tar cfz /dev/...'

I have on several occasions created files named 'z','v', or 'j'.
It was always the last letter of the options, that wasn't taken as
option but as the output filename. The 'works-for-me' solution was to
omit the dash. Tar doesn't need it, but I usually put it there anyway
because I'm used to options being preceded by a dash.

If this is happening to you, tar wants to create a file named 'z', and
reads first from /dev/nst0 where it doesn't find anything and spills out
an error.

cu,
Schnobs