Re: Debian Server Compromise -- A Fire Drill ??

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 06:31:42 +1100, bob parker wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 05:17, Paul Morgan wrote:

>> > IBM invented the PC not Microsoft. IBM made the decision to have open
>> > standards so that third parties could and did manufacture components and
>> > of course the entire assembly itself. Microsoft did not even create
>> > MSDOS, they bought it. Sure the PC was a force for freedom, but the
>> > credit goes to IBM, all Microsoft have ever done is to constrain that
>> > freedom.

>> > Like thinking that Microsoft created the PC for instance?
>>
>> Thinking that IBM invented the personal computer is not much smarter than
>> thinking that Microsoft did.
> I never said they did invented the personal computer, just the PC.
> It is their product and they own the trade mark of it.
> Moreover they wrote open standards so that 3rd parties could build hardware
> for it. That was what commoditised the desktop computer and consequently
> started the revolution.
>

>> Ever heard of the Altair?  Or the Apple I and II, the TRS-80 or Commodore
>> Pet?
>
> Sure but they are not PCs and as brilliant as they were in their day, they
> were still closed standards.
>>
>> IBM did popularize the term "PC", but they sure as heck didn't invent the
>> personal computer.  And, because they'd bought the rights to the Intel
>> 8086, and because of the sheer economic power and brand recognition of
>> IBM, we all got stuck with the dreadful Intel segmented memory
>> architecture.
>
> Sigh! Yeah I used to program Alpha Micros, built on the Motorola 6800, then
> 68000 chips. I'd much rather they went with them.

Yes, we're talking at cross purposes, and I apologize for my opening
remark.  On rereading it, I realized that I was much less than polite.

I was thinking exactly the same about the Motorola chips.  I did some work
on an Altos using the Moltorolas and running Unix.  Using a pre-DB2/SQL
relational database.  *sigh* the good old days :)

--

"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
(The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972)