segmented mem - Re: Debian Server Compromise -- A Fire Drill ??

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Paul Morgan wrote:

> IBM did popularize the term "PC", but they sure as heck didn't invent the
> personal computer.  And, because they'd bought the rights to the Intel
> 8086, and because of the sheer economic power and brand recognition of
> IBM, we all got stuck with the dreadful Intel segmented memory
> architecture.

my understanding is that segmented mem like the x86 makes it easy
for context swap and page fault recovery ??
	- 68000 and  Z8000 has a harder time to do "recovery"
	but easier to write code and faster for general aps

i like pdp-style apps ... everything directly accessible as memory ...

c ya
alvin

- google just had a party at the computer museum ..
- computer museum happen to have all these old toys
	( pdp-8, cray-1, ... all working ...
	( paper tape, catridges, punch cards too