Re: compiled and installed new kernel, but dkpg does not find it

H. S. wrote:
Hi,

I downloaded the source for 2.4.22 and compiled it and installed using dpkg:
  461  cd kernel-source-2.4.22
  462  cp /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4 ./.config
  463  make menuconfig
  464  make menuconfig
  465  make-kpkg clean
  466  make-kpkg --append_to_version -nvidia kernel_image modules_image
  467  cd ..
  468  dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia_10.00.Custom_i386.deb

And I am not able to make the mouse move, seems like the new kernel doesn't see the mouse. This new kernel was compiled because I wanted to use the new nvidia driver. I followed the steps given here:
http://www.leonscape.co.uk/linux/how2-nvg4.html

I never knew about that page and follow a slightly different approach.
(Others may have better ways :-) )

- make menuconfig on the new kernel
- make-kpkg --revision 1 kernel_image

Then I end up with a .deb in /usr/src.
I rename /lib/modules/<kernel> to something else
dpkg -i <kernel_image.deb>

I never worry anymore what dpkg has or does not have, in this case, it does not seem to matter. I can run dpkg as many times as I wish with an updated .deb. The only thing is you have to have Lilo squared away because he will run lilo as part of the install of the .deb.

That new kernel I boot. It will not have Nvidia, so I run:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run (from Nvidia)

which compiles Nvidia 4363, without a problem, telling it that I don't want it to look on the web for a later version. It always seems to work, and creates nvidia.o in /drivers/video. (Can't have X running when you run it and things change in 2.6.0)

As far as I am aware, "the latest" is:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run

I have never run that one with the above method, because of the dictum "if s--t don't stink don't kick it". 4363 gives me everything I need AFAIK, with *Backstreet Ruby* the multi-user Debian. No dount the Nvidia page says what 4496 has over 4363.

Hugo.

I might have missed something in the menuconfig options (though I don't see what, since I copied older config to used as the new one) or in the editing of XF86config file. So I am thinking of compiling it again. But if I were to reinstall a new version of the same kernel, dpkg would complain about the already existing /lib/modules/kernel-<version-number>. To avoid this, I am thinking of removing the older kernel. But "dpkg -L" doesn't see the kernel I installed yesterday:
/usr/src# dpkg -L kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
Package `kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia_10.00.custom_i386.deb' is not installed.

Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

So perhaps removing that package with "dkpg -p kernel-image-2.4.22-nvidia_10.00.Custom_i386.deb" before recompiling it would work. Am I on the right track?

->HS