Re: to let the "shutdown -h now" make the power really go off

In article <[🔎] 66974CE2-2802-11D8-AA38-00306543A0C6@yahoo.co.jp>,
micro-people  <mivro_thangs@yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
>mmm
>my Debian 3.0 says that it cannot locate it
>maybe the base(used 20 FDs to install) only system
>still doesn't have that module installed?
>
>then maybe i should struggle making my machine online
>(to do those apt things)
>before sticking into this power button aspect?
>
>but a bit happy
>cause this way worked on my
>GatewaySOLO (slackware installed).....;)

It's a kernel issue. At the end of shutdown, the /etc/init.d/halt
script is executed which tells the kernel to do a poweroff.
In your case, the kernel doesn't do that. That means something
is different between the slackware kernel and the Debian kernel,
or that the hardware is different.

On most machines you can get this to work by enabling the
right powersave stuff (APM/ACPI) in the kernel. In some
cases, loading the "apm" module is enough, if indeed that
module was compiled for and included with the kernel you
are running. Otherwise you have to compile and install a
custom kernel for your machine.

Mike.