Re: Debian Server Compromise -- A Fire Drill ??

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 09:12, Tom wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 04:32:47PM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
> > Good point.  And just because Bill Gates et. al have become hard-nosed
> > businessmen, it does not mean they are immoral.
>
> Microsoft played the exact same role in its origins v. IBM as Linux is
> now playing to Microsoft; the upstart, force for freedom.  The PC was a
> freedom revolution against the glass house.

IBM invented the PC not Microsoft. IBM made the decision to have open
standards so that third parties could and did manufacture components and of
course the entire assembly itself. Microsoft did not even create MSDOS, they
bought it. Sure the PC was a force for freedom, but the credit goes to IBM,
all Microsoft have ever done is to constrain that freedom.

> That's one of the things that makes me feel squirelly and uncomfortable
> about open source; you always have to consider "who gains by this and
> what's their motivation".  Any philosophy which cannot account for basic
> facts must have foundational weaknesses.

Like thinking that Microsoft created the PC for instance?