Re: Debian Server Compromise -- A Fire Drill ??

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 03:49:12AM +1100, bob parker wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 09:12, Tom wrote:
> >
> > Microsoft played the exact same role in its origins v. IBM as Linux is
> > now playing to Microsoft; the upstart, force for freedom.  The PC was a
> > freedom revolution against the glass house.
>
> Like thinking that Microsoft created the PC for instance?

Did I say Microsoft invented the PC?  I said Microsoft used to be the
little guy vs. the IBM bad guy (Unix types never believed this; but it's
ignoring history to say this wasn't a widely held opinion -- before Lou
Gerstner (sp?) turned IBM around in the early 90's they were on the
ropes, pscyhologically -- see Lou's biography "You Can Make An Elephant
Dance").

The mechanism for this activity was the PC.  At no point did I make a
claim that Microsoft invented it.