Re: yeah !

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 11:53:16AM +0100, Mauro Darida wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 at 14:42:21 +0000, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> > Many people, including me, would not recommend debian for a linux
> > novice, though there are debian-based distros that some might recommend.
> > But I don't really see this as a problem.  There are different distros
> > for different needs, and debian is designed for the needs of an
> > experienced user.
> I am always very pleased when I hear that because Debian a year ago was
> my first linux and I was a novice (well, I had a modest little unix user
> experience); I did it alone and on a laptop. Yeah !
> So people if you want debian and you are a novice then you can if you
> *really* want.

I'm with Mauro's post (this thread) on this.  Debian isn't designed for
those with experience--it simply makes it easier initially.  Debian is
a no-nonsense distribution.

I too started with Potato (I think, at least :), but I came from the
dark side (v. 3.1), through OS/2 (2.1 -> 4), straight into Debian.
Nothing else.  My drive was curiosity and a disdain for monopolies and
willingly assumed complacent idiocy (i.e. M$ and its customers).  What
I do is half work, half hobby.  Can't figure which is the more
important half in the long run.

I _knew_ the bottom line for a successful install was knowing your
computer inside-out, and things pretty much worked.  (BTW, isn't the
installer's equivalent of the "go back" button simply the choice to
redo a step?  Worked for me.)

Scary?  Yes.  Impossible?  Not at all.  But you have to go into it with
your eyes wide open, and RTFD (the docs worked well enough for me).

My first big accomplishment was getting the printer to work (this is a
common one, methinks :).

I wouldn't advertise "stay away, Newbie" on the Debian site (maybe AOL,
though... ).  But a (slightly?) more subtle message about "empowering
the demanding/inquisitive user with real control of their computer from
the chassis on up" might accomplish the same goal.  That's what caught
my attention years ago.

Cheers,

Kenward

ps. If there was one thing that I could suggest about the installation,
it would be the creation of a log showing what choices were made for
various system areas (e.g. modules and networking) and where to look
for info on how to modify those choices. This would be clearly
communicated at the first login.
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,