Re: Cheap PC / unknown components. ALDI/Medion MD 8080 XL anyone?

On Saturday 06 December 2003 14:45, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:07:24PM +0100, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> >   I bought one of the "cheap" PCs from a german discounter. I am
> > wondering if anybody has been able to install Debian on it? Any pointers
> > would be nice.

> >   www.linux-hardware.de wasn't helpful.

> I have recently bought a medion PC (not sure of model name) and I have
> installed debian on it with very few problems.

> >   Allmost all the components are unknown  when looking at the /proc/pci
> > output. This is interesting, because I believe they used "brand"
> > components.
>
> My /proc/pci output does not contain 'unknown'.
After using the new installer and kernel 2.4.22 /proc/pci doesn't contain any
"unknowns" anymore. Still "lscpi -vv | grep -i unknown | wc -l returns" 14,
but it doesn't seem to me that this is a problem. We'll see.

> Sorry this isn't of much help. If you bought it pre-packaged, did it
> come with another OS installed?
It came with XP Home Edition, but as it never saw the light on my box, it
shouldn't have hurt my box ;-)

>>Does that OS know what hardware it is
> running on?

A friend of mine bought the same box and did send me screenshots what the
other OS detected. Anyway the package lshw (and the newer kernel) did a great
job in identifying the components, so I hopefully wouldn't need to fall back
on that.

Just curious. You bought a Medion PC outside of Germany?

Cheers,
Mariano