Re: Installing modem.

Hoyt Bailey wrote:

You say "ttyS3 is different from ttyS0 & ttyS1"; um, yes. They're
different files. Maybe you mean something else when you say they're
"different"?

Yes, from dmesg:
Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Redundant entry in serial pci_table.  Please send the output of
lspci -vv, this message (12b9,1008,12b9,00d3)
and the manufacturer and name of serial board or modem board
to serial-pci-info@lists.sourceforge.net.
ttyS04 at port 0xd000 (irq = 19) is a 16550A

It looks like you have two serial ports on your motherboard (00 & 01), in addition to your modem on 04. Apparently the PCI bus is getting confused somehow. You might want to go into the BIOS and temporarily disable the built-in serial ports, and see what that does for you.

I have sent the requested message to the sourceforge.net. with a cc to this
list.

Why are you trying to transfer dmesg to floppy? Without knowing the
exact command you used, as whom, in what directory, it's hard to say
what might have gone wrong with your copy attempt.

Because somewhere in the diddleing I came across dmesg as the log file which
I didnt know and thought it might have something that would help.

But I'm unsure why you'd want to copy it to floppy. If you need it in a file form, you can:
	dmesg > dmesg.txt
and then copy dmesg.txt to wherever you want it, including floppy. If you just want to see the dmesg messages, you can:
	dmesg | more

What happens with the command:
echo "ATDT555-1234" > /dev/ttyS3

Nothing absolutely nothing and I can hear my modem sending. Dont have
another number I can call.

This I don't understand; you say it's doing "nothing absolutely nothing" and then immediately say you hear the modem sending, which means it's doing something. Either it's doing nothing or it's doing something. Which is it?

I also assume you didn't really use the bogus number "555-1234"? You want to use a real number, say to your cell phone, or a second line, or to the local time & temperature (I didn't say that - no one can prove I did) and listen to the modem speaker for the time/temp announcement. If this works, that means the computer is seeing your modem, your modem is seeing the phone line, and the modem can dial out.

--
Kent