Re: Installing modem.

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003, Hoyt Bailey wrote:

> I recieved my USR5610B and replaced the Intel winmodem.  Turned on the
> computer and it dialed the ISP in Windows.  So I said hey this is going to
> be easy.  Went to U.S. Robitics website and no debian driver only RH,
> Mandrake, & SUSE.
>
> [ ... snip discussion of trying to adapt rpm drivers ... ]

I believe that's a controller based modem.  An lspci (as root) should
return something like this:

[ ... other devices ... ]
00:0b.0 Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev
01)

If you see it, try a 'grep ttyS /var/log/dmesg'.  You should get
something like this:

ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
ttyS04 at port 0x7fe0 (irq = 10) is a 16550A

If you have three choices (like my system does) and ttyS00 and ttyS01
exists, those are probably the motherboard's serial ports.  The odd man
out is ttyS04 (which, oddly enough, is how my USR5610 set itself up as -
com5 in dosland).

Fire up wvdialconf, and see if it works.  Report back if it doesn't.
Remember, if you can hear it dial out, then the driver is probably
working and you have the right serial port, if you can't connect, there
is probably something wrong with your ppp configuration.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, I seem to own the exact
same model.  Its a good modem, and stays connected for days when I want
it to.  :)

~ Jesse Meyer

--
 icq:    34583382             | Nethack 3.4.2 is out!  http://www.nethack.org