Re: Installing modem.

Hoyt Bailey wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>

Then I'd try minicom and play with the COM port settings; after each

"minicom" dosent exist on my system. 'minicom' command results in file not
found message and man minicom results are simular.  Also there is no entry
in info for minicom.  The entry in dmesg for ttyS3 is different from ttyS0 &
ttyS1 it  may be helpful. There was somthing strange happened.  I booted
normally and at the GUI login cntl-alt-F1 to get back to command line. When
finished I attempted to transfer /var/log/demsg to floppy and received the
file does not exit message. Knowing it had to be there I issued 'startx' and
received the X is running message.  So I did a 'killx' and another 'startx'
which booted directly into KDE bypassing GUI login   Then I went to console
and reissued the command to transfer /var/log/demsg to floppy and file not
found message appeared.  Called Konk(sp) and moved to /var/log and demsg was
present ckicked on same and transfered it to floppy. That is the long way
around. When I clicked on the logout symbol I returned to command line.
Regards;
Hoyt

crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Oct 16 09:25 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  65 Oct 16 09:28 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  66 Mar 14  2002 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  67 Mar 14  2002 /dev/ttyS3

Oo-kay-y, but how does this info about dmesg existing in X but not in console and copying said file to floppy relate to your modem issues?

Not finding any info on minicom just means that it's not installed. In that case, I'd probably just work with pppconfig until I got frustrated enough to bother with getting minicom installed for an additional testing tool.

You say "ttyS3 is different from ttyS0 & ttyS1"; um, yes. They're different files. Maybe you mean something else when you say they're "different"?

Why are you trying to transfer dmesg to floppy? Without knowing the exact command you used, as whom, in what directory, it's hard to say what might have gone wrong with your copy attempt.

What happens with the command:
	echo "ATDT555-1234" > /dev/ttyS3

This should cause the modem (assuming it's on COM4 in Windows-speak) to dial the phone number 555-1234).

--
Kent