Re: Installing modem.

Hoyt Bailey wrote:

You are on target however there is some question, in my mind at least, where
the modem is installed in linux. KDE says it is d000-d007 others say it
should be ttyS04 and ttyS4 my system seems to list ttyS? as TTYS??. Windows
XP installed it on com4, which impilys that it should be probably on TTYS03.
Perhaps I'm just confused because I dont know enough.  Thanks for your input
I'll keep it in mind.
Regards;
Hoyt

I have no uppercase TTYs in my /dev directory. Have never heard of such? Perhaps earlier in your attempts to get the modem working you manually created these device files?

This command, executed as root from within the /dev directory, should create the standard tty device files:
	./MAKEDEV std

Then I'd try minicom and play with the COM port settings; after each change, try dialing your cell phone with something like
	ATDT555-555-1234
When you hear the modem dial out and/or your cell phone ring, you know you're on the right COM port.

(You can hang up the modem with ATZ.)

--
Kent