Re: Installing modem.

On 9 Nov 2003 at 7:24, Hoyt Bailey wrote:

> I recieved my USR5610B and replaced the Intel winmodem.  Turned on the
> computer and it dialed the ISP in Windows.  So I said hey this is going to
> be easy.  Went to U.S. Robitics website and no debian driver only RH,
> Mandrake, & SUSE.  Ok I can do rpm.  downloaded rpm driver put it on a CD
> and booted debian.  Did ^alt F1 read man rpm & man alien.  No problem
> mounted CD issued alien -i </cdrom/<pkgname> ran ok w/no errors.  Checked
> for files 3commdn and found the following:
> /usr/share/doc/3commdn
> /usr/share/doc/3commdn/changelog.Debian.gz
> /usr/share/doc/3commdn/copyright
> /usr/doc/3commdn
> /usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.postinst
> /usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.list
> /usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.prerm
> /usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.conffiles
> /usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.md5sums
> Read the copyright file and there is a statement (Not Installed).  Went back
> to X & read the log XFree86 no indication of modem. Tryed to start
> connection -No-.  Any Suggestions?
> Regards;
> Hoyt
>

> --

I have the same exact modem and it should *NOT* need a driver.
It is controller based, and it should work like an external
modem, even thought it is PCI. I had mine working under Suse
8.1 and Red Hat 7.0, but have not figured out how to get it
working under debian "woody". I just tried those other distro
before I was enlightened. I will be interested to follow this
thread also. I but the modem in a windows box and got the port
value, but every serial port I try I get "modem is busy". I
can see the modem under KDE -> control center -> information -
> PCI. It's at IRQ3 and I/O port b800.

Salutations,
Marlin