Re: Installing modem.

Hoyt Bailey wrote:
I recieved my USR5610B and replaced the Intel winmodem.  Turned on the
computer and it dialed the ISP in Windows.  So I said hey this is going to
be easy.  Went to U.S. Robitics website and no debian driver only RH,
Mandrake, & SUSE.  Ok I can do rpm.  downloaded rpm driver put it on a CD
and booted debian.  Did ^alt F1 read man rpm & man alien.  No problem
mounted CD issued alien -i </cdrom/<pkgname> ran ok w/no errors.  Checked
for files 3commdn and found the following:
/usr/share/doc/3commdn
/usr/share/doc/3commdn/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/3commdn/copyright
/usr/doc/3commdn
/usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.postinst
/usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.list
/usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.prerm
/usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.conffiles
/usr/dpkg/info/3commdn/.md5sums
Read the copyright file and there is a statement (Not Installed).  Went back
to X & read the log XFree86 no indication of modem. Tryed to start
connection -No-.  Any Suggestions?
Regards;
Hoyt

I assume this is a _real_ modem? If so, it should be assigned to a COM port {1-4]. What COM port is it assigned to in Windows? Subtract one from that number, and that's the port in Linux. For example, if it's COM2 in Windows, it'll be /dev/ttyS1 in Linux. If it's COM3 in Windows, it'll be /dev/ttyS2 in Linux.

If it's a real modem, don't worry about drivers; it'll just work.

Run "pppconfig"; let it autodetect the modem, or mnaually specify the COM port if necessary. Once that's done, you can use "pon" to start your ppp connection, or "poff" to turn ppp off. Or you can use any of the GUI-style connection tools, like KISP or KPPP (I think those are real names; I never use them).

You can also use minicom to do some basic modem activity; it's a terminal program.

--
Kent