RE: No to wine! (was:"Red Hat recommends...")

I was an avid OS/2 user at one time, until technology moved on and the logical
switch for most OS/2 users was Linux.

Your thoughts on using Win3.1 and OS/2 are interesting...except that Win3.1 was
known to run better under OS/2.  The reason was problem because IBM did a
work-around for the bugs that existed (or corrected them in the blue box
version).  Thus I rarely if ever booted into DOS+Win3.1  The stable solution was
almost inevitably run Win3.1 under OS/2.  And the most stable was the old blue
box version of course, instead of having to install Win3.1 separately and have
OS/2 install and look for it.

On 08-Nov-2003 Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 00:52, David Millet wrote:
>

>> Or not until wine begins running these and every windoze app that
>> everyone uses flawlessly, which hopefully happens soon.
>
> Nooooo!
> please.
>
> Anyone remembers OS/2? I think that one important reason why it failed
> (among admittedly many others) is that many developers didn't see any
> need to write software for it. I've heard/read many times that an OS/2
> version wasn't necessary as people can run the windows software almost
> just as well.
> In the end, I hardly ever booted into OS/2, because there I'd not only
> have to deal with the issues of Win31 software, but with the problems of
> running them under an alien system as well.
>
> In the same way, I wouldn't use Linux if I had to run 90% of the
> applications through wine. Not even if it were 'only' 20%... but as
> things are, Linux natively offers almost all I need, and that's why I
> consider it to be a good alternative.
>
> Wine is a necessary crutch, suitable to run the one or two apps that are
> not (yet?) available for Linux. But in my eyes it will be no solution to
> improve the crutch. On the contrary, having a really good wine might
> even be dangerous.
> At any rate, I think it's a strange philosphy to hope that a workaround
> should become the actual solution.
>
> cu,
> Schnobs
>

> --

Arlen Carlson <arlen@carlsontech.net>

"I've seen the forgeries I've sent out."
-- John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US), about forging net news articles

This message was sent by XFmail (Linux)

                        -o)
                        /\\