Re: heres my noob install questions, smart people please help

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 07:22:18AM -0600, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> Consider the following when windows is mounted on the linux system it
> is just a file on a directory (mnt/windows) windows isnt running!
> Should you write a file to /mnt/windows there is nothing to check for
> free space, nothing to register the file as far as windows is
> concerned the file dosent exist but you have corrupted the system by
> overwriting files that it knows about.  What would happen ?  Who
> knows!

Huh? Linux has a driver for the filesystem used by Windows. That driver
checks for free space and ensures the integrity of the filesystem. As
far as Windows is concerned the file most certainly does exist.

If you're writing to NTFS, then I think you're on your own as write
support in that filesystem driver is experimental, but that's a
different matter.