Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Mike Mueller wrote:

> On Thursday 06 November 2003 14:27, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > So, yes: It seems it makes some sense what the RedHat chief executive
> > said.
>
> If your brother or sister starts a new venture, you wouldn't use the local
> newspaper to say that their venture is immature and folks should check back
> in a few years.  That makes sense and it's true, but if you did, your brother
> or sister would be terribly hurt and angry. (I use "you" in the general sense
> and not in the directly personal sense.)

Agreed, at least if I connect your point to the one I'll try to
explain below.

> I'm working hard to create a widget that runs on Linux.  Others are doing the
> same.  We don't need Mr RH CEO working with Bill and Darryl to tarnish the
> reputation of good software because it changes their world.

An excerpt from what the RedHat CEO said
---------------
"I would say that for the consumer market place, Windows probably
continues to be the right product line," he said. "I would argue that
from the device-driver standpoint and perhaps some of the other
traditional functionality, for that classic consumer purchaser, it is
my view that (Linux) technology needs to mature a little bit more."
______________________

"needs to mature a little bit more" ??

This point at least seems to me being unfair against the Linux coders:
How can they write the device drivers for hardware parts, if they
don't have the specs for the stuff? So the fact a home user might run
into problems when trying to hook up a device to a Linux machine, and
then finding it doesn't work, has much more to do with the copyright
policy (or whatever it is) of companies producing that hardware. Or
that's at least what it seems to me.

And I'm still hoping the RedHat CEO will talk about that fact, too.
In public.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang

--