Re: heres my noob install questions, smart people please help

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 05:56:44PM -0700, David Millet wrote:
> hey thanx so much for your help, just one quick question
>
> >Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it.  The FAT filesystem semantics aren't the
> >same
> >as Unix, and it's not a very good filesystem anyway.  I would leave your
> >Unix
> >homedir on a Unix filesystem, and mount the fat32 partition somewhere else.
> >

> i want to easily be able to share certain files between windoze and
> linux, for example .fla macromedia flash files, flash has issues under
> wine so i'd prefer to boot into windoze when i need to use flash and i
> thought it would be easiest to just mount that windoze logical drive as
> my /home/david drive, would you suggest something else?  obviously i
> cant format that windows partition with a non-bill-gates-approved
> filesystem, so i guess i could mount it to /home/david/windozefiles or
> something like that.

I think the traditional (and likely easiest) way to share stuff back and
forth is to just create a directory somewhere (like /mnt/windows, or
/home/david/windozefiles if you prefer) to use as a mount-point for that
fat32 partition.

> if i were to mount it to /home/david would linux
> corrupt the fat32 or something?

No.  But lots of programs save stuff to your home dir, and some of them
will later check back to see if those files have the right permissions
on them.  fat32 doesn't _have_ permissions, so those programs may barf.
It's just going to be less of a headache for you to leave /home/david on
an appropriate linux filesystem, and mount your windows partition
someplace else.

	Cheers!
--