Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

all I have to say is that I personally want linux to rule the desktop,
simply because I will stand to make alot of money when big companies
start picking it up.  a lot of us will, in fact.

Not until Broderbund releases a Calendar Creator that works with
Linux.  Ditto for Reader Rabbit, Math Blaster, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Or not until wine begins running these and every windoze app that everyone uses flawlessly, which hopefully happens soon.

david

***

My experience with the wonderful world of Linux and end users - or normal people. My sister needed a laptop to help her start a new business writing grant proposals. I figured I'd help by buying her a laptop (used, but still good, a Dell Latitude PIII, 256Meg RAM, 12 Gig hard disk, CD-RW, external floppy, Xircom 10/100+56 card. I tested Mandrake 9.1, SuSE 8.2 Personal and Knoppix installed to harddisk. Decided to ship it with SuSE with all updates done, and with OOo 1.1.0 and Scribus 1.0.1. Paid for Internet access, and configured dial on demand. Also configured KMail,Evolution, Mozilla Mail and KNode.

She called today. Had a problem with it (trouble-shooting was turn it upside down and shake it). Brought it to computer repair shop. He installed non-licensed Windows and MS Office. I'm discouraged. It truely was 'point 'n click'. Everything was installed, tested and working. Literally plug it in, turn it on, connect the included phone cord and your online. Just click the Seagull and you have a choice of OOo1.0.2 or OOo1.1.0.

Think I want my SuSE 8.2 Personal boxed set, SuSE Live Eval CD, and boot floppy back! But on the good side, my 7 year old son and 14 year old son are perfectly comfortable with SuSE, Mandrake and RedHat. Maybe Debian in a while.