Re: Searching for an editor...

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:01:43 -0600
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> wrote:

> Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net> writes:
>
> > To be more specific, Xemacs has more beautiful fonts and lets you
> > change default font size.
>
> I don't see why you can't change the default font size in
> Emacs... you can change the default font, and with it the size.  Is
> XEmacs using fontconfig these days?  If not, the fonts are coming
> from the same place.  XEmacs does seem to default to displaying more
> things in proportional fonts than Emacs does, though I'm not sure
> that's a good thing.

OK, you can change it in Emacs too, but not so easily or elegantly. Font
handling is something Xemacs is actually good at. I type in Chinese
sometimes, and the Chinese fonts look terrible in Emacs, but are quite
acceptable in Xemacs.

> > But Emacs is also good, and of course has the advantage of working
> > on the command line as well as in X.
>
> Well, so can XEmacs.

OK, you've got me there.

Now I have a question. Does anyone know why in text mode, M-<
(beginning-of-buffer) and M-> (end-of-buffer) don't work? They work fine
in text mode in some other distros, but not in Debian or Slackware. In
X, they always work in every distro (Debian and Slackware included).

regards,
Robert