Re: OT: US War Powers (was Re: A newbie's confusion about GPL)

on Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 05:24:31AM -0400, TR (tony@the-sphere.org) wrote:

> > The Congress, not the President, has the power to declare war in the
> > United States of America.  US Constitution, Article I, Section 8.
> >

> With all due respect, this is in theory. In practice, GWB (or those
> behind him) did take the country to war,

If you really want to discuss the nuances of the War Powers Act and
subsequent modifications, please find an appropriate forum.

Yes, the US President commands the armed forces.  Congress holds the
purse strings.  And the recent Iraqi disagreement was not a declared
war -- there have been none involving the US since Korea.  I was
correcting a sloppy statement I should have left alone.

End discussion.

Peace.

    DON'T PANIC