Re: A newbie's confusion about GPL

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:04:20AM -0700, tb.31020.nospam@comcast.net wrote:
> > Then does that give people in Afghanistan and Iraq the right to attack
> > America? As it does seem that (some) Americans want to kill them.
>
> I said "we only want to kill them because they want to kill us"
> if they stop, we stop
> if they don't we don't

That doesn't answer my question...

> > The fact that "some" people want to kill you is not reason enough to
> > indiscriminately wage war on a country. In fact it is a bad idea from a
> > tactical point of view, as attacking someone will INCREASE their will to
> > kill you.
>
> yeah but we're so powerful we'll win that's the point of wars

Yes of course the world's biggest military power will win over nothing
countries like Afghanistan and Iraq! But even if you win the war you
still INCREASE people's resentment against the U.S. So besides killing
thousands of Afghanis and Iraqis, and some U.S. soldiers on the side,
and INCREASING the number of terrorist attacks, which are all negative,
what do these wars accomplish, besides showing the world how ruthless
the American army is.

> > Any strategy that uses cruelty and capriciousness is clearly not going
> > to make anyone love the cruel and capricious party (U.S. and allies).
> > Therefore that clearly must not be the reason that these tactics are
> > used. The Bush administration is not *that* stupid.
>
> seems like we're already hated, what's the loss

Spend billions of dollars, and a good deal of human life, and become
EVEN MORE HATED.

> > (Bin Laden doesn't use cruelty to make people not want to kill him. He
> > uses it because he wants to start a holy war.)
> >

> we'd be glad to oblige him

The question to ask is who will gain from this?

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com