Re: Network attached storage and backup

hi ya aaron

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Aaron wrote:

> I lack any kind of realistic backup system, I'm not RAIDing my data
> (only a single 200 gig drive), my hardware is sub-par (Linux doesn't
> really *like* VIA too much), and I'm sure there are other things I
> could be doing differently.
>
> I'm interested in knowing what everyone out there does for storing
> 100+ gigs of data in at least a semi-reliable way using Debian (or
> even not using Debian). I would love to spend $1,500 on a 300 gig
> RAID-5 filesever, but I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon.
> Not to mention: how would I back it up?

backup of 200GB disk is easily backed up onto one or two $80 (
160GB ) disks full backup  ( the disks is on sale at fries )
	===
	=== notice: $80-$160 for 160GB   vs  your $1500 for 300GB NAS
	===

and yes ... definitely .. backup the backup server !!!!

NAS is NOT a backup system ... its a way to share large amts of data with
lots of servers
	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Disks/san_nas.gwif.html

RAID is definitely NOT a backup system ...
	- raid1/raid5 protects you against ONE disk failure ..
	- if you lose a 2nd disk of the raid1/raid5 array ( $ 1500 ) than
	you will most likely lost all data on the entire array

> Who out there uses a tape backup system? What kind? What software?
> Does anyone backup to DVD?

http://www.Linux-Backup.net
	- lots of free scripts to backup any way you like

i use just disks for backups ... disks are very reliable when used
and configured properly...
	- use at least 3 different backup servers/media

	no tapes ....... too slow to restore from bare metal
	no cdrom/dvd ... too small ... i need TB of backups and storage

	- i want the "backup systems" to be live within 30 seconds
	of a major failure by simply changing its hostname and ip#
 		- but i do NOT want it done automatically ...
		( i want to know what caused the failure first
		( before i risk my multiple backups

i use find | tar  .... ( its all free ) and you can tweek it
to the way you want it and i always have a tgz file of what
was copied to backup and when ..

c ya
alvin