Network attached storage and backup

Hello Debs.

(Does it get tiresome being called Debs? I personally don't mind being
called one, but I never asked)

My question is a matter of opinion, and since there are so many
opinions I respect here, I thought I would bring it to you. While
setting up my Debian network fileserver, it occurred to me that if I
had the money, I would do things a lot differently (read: correctly).

I lack any kind of realistic backup system, I'm not RAIDing my data
(only a single 200 gig drive), my hardware is sub-par (Linux doesn't
really *like* VIA too much), and I'm sure there are other things I
could be doing differently.

I'm interested in knowing what everyone out there does for storing
100+ gigs of data in at least a semi-reliable way using Debian (or
even not using Debian). I would love to spend $1,500 on a 300 gig
RAID-5 filesever, but I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon.
Not to mention: how would I back it up?

Who out there uses a tape backup system? What kind? What software?
Does anyone backup to DVD?

Any and all experiences interest me! Thanks!

--
Aaron Bieber
-