Re: Network attached storage and backup

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 13:50, Aaron wrote:
> Hello Debs.
>
> (Does it get tiresome being called Debs? I personally don't mind being
> called one, but I never asked)
>
> My question is a matter of opinion, and since there are so many
> opinions I respect here, I thought I would bring it to you. While
> setting up my Debian network fileserver, it occurred to me that if I
> had the money, I would do things a lot differently (read: correctly).
>
> I lack any kind of realistic backup system, I'm not RAIDing my data
> (only a single 200 gig drive), my hardware is sub-par (Linux doesn't
> really *like* VIA too much), and I'm sure there are other things I
> could be doing differently.
>
> I'm interested in knowing what everyone out there does for storing
> 100+ gigs of data in at least a semi-reliable way using Debian (or
> even not using Debian). I would love to spend $1,500 on a 300 gig
> RAID-5 filesever, but I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon.
> Not to mention: how would I back it up?
>
> Who out there uses a tape backup system? What kind? What software?
> Does anyone backup to DVD?
>
> Any and all experiences interest me! Thanks!

Specifics.  We need much more.

How much performance do you need?  I.e., how many users will be
hitting it at the same time, what kind of apps run on the box, etc?

When you say "100+ GB", do you mean 100-150GB, or something *much*
larger?

PS - I've been using Linux on Via chipsets for 4 years, and have
had very good success, and no negative h/w issues.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

When Swedes start committing terrorism, I'll become suspicious of
Scandanavians.