Re: Network attached storage and backup

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 21:03, Aaron wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> said,
> > On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 13:55, Aaron wrote:
> > > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> said,

> > > Just me. Maybe myself and one other user. I don't need a lot of
> > > performance once it's up and running. It's network attached, so I
> > > don't really need more disk throughput than I can get out of my
> > > 100Base-TX network connection.
> >
> > Ok, well that's easy enough to do.

> > > Between 100 and 300 gigs, I guess. I have almost 200 gigs of data that
> > > I'd be storing and backing up, but I can predict a need for more
> > > storage in the future.
> >
> > Is this a database, or your MPEG2/MP3/JPEG collection, or
> > what?  I.e.:
> > Does it change a lot, or will you only be adding new stuff?
> > Can it be segmented easily?
>
> It doesn't change a lot, and some parts of it can be easily segmented
> while others can't. Specifically, the 63 gigs of movies between 600
> megs and 800 megs each. That's a serious problem for backing up to any
> kind of CD or DVD media, so I was investigating tape solutions.

I'd *strongly* look at packages that can burn these to DVD (you
could put 6 750MB movies on a 4.7GB DVD).  Thus, there's 63 less
GB to archive by other methods.

Also, you can also then watch the movies directly from DVD, which
isn't possible if the movies are on tape.

> I really don't have much experience at all with backup solutions, only
> a basic conceptual understanding. I'm just wondering what other people
> do; do they use tapes? Travan? DLT? SCSI? Internal? External? What
> kinds of software are out there, how hard is it to set up an
> incremental backup job and how hard is it to restore specific
> portions?

How compressible is the (~200GB - 63GB =) ~137GB of other data
that has to get backed up?

How much of this ~137GB changes on a regular basis?  Any MP3 (like
the MP3s I ripped from my own CD collection)?

If the data is compressible, then that, of course, shrinks the
amount of data that needs to be backed up.

> Those are my basic concerns.

Don't worry, they're *everyone's* concern.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Our computers and their computers are the same color. The
conversion should be no problem!"
Unknown