Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:20:01PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 20:28, Terry Hancock wrote:
> > It occurs to me that that might very well be a near-ideal and possibly
> > planned outcome. If I were running Red Hat, I would probably think
> > so.  No need to scent conspiracy theories -- it's not a bad approach
> > to transition: gives plenty of time for the two to grow towards a standard
> > (e.g. the LSB stuff), and then make the transition smooth for the end user.
>
> That would be a possible theory if Debian & RH both use the same
> package manager.  Now, if RH wants to admit to the error in it's
> ways and move to dpkg/apt/deb, it could be an enterprise version
> of Libranet, and, since it charges for updates  to multiple systems
> (the RH Network), it would be a lot like Lindows!
Well you're talking about the use of apt, Fedora used apt-rpm for
package distribution. I don't know what they're doing now but I guess
they'll switch to RHN cause that's what the fedora.redhat.com website
says. A bad move to a closed distribution model IMHO.

Sven
--
http://www.comboguano.de
http://sven.linux-ist-pleite.de