Re: MS mail bombs

At Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:14:27 -0400,
Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 02:52:20AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:02:20 -0400,
> > Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> wrote in message
> > <[🔎] 20030923220220.GA3346@server.crasseux.com>:
> > > For telnet simply run:
> > > telnet pop.server.com 110
> > > USER username
> > > PASS password
> > > LIST
> > > TOP number (to show only the headers)
> > > DELE number (to delete the message)
> > > QUIT (once you're done)
> >
> > ..cool, anyone scripted this?
>
> Well mailfilter basically does this. You just define some rules
> that it should apply to messages based only on the headers (it
> only downloads the headers). It's kind of like procmail for
> pop, but only using the headers.
>
> I haven't really used it because I don't feel comfortable
> deleting mail without either, moving it to a trash folder, or
> without looking at it manually.

Why not?  Mailfilter has a log feature of varying degrees of
verbosity.  So if I accidentally delete a notice saying "Subject:
Congratulations: You've just won a million $$", I could always
ask the sender to resend it.  Any email which can't be resent (or
isn't archived somewhere) isn't worth reading.  This goes for
love letters and subpoenas.

To be sure, I have a couple of confidential email addresses which
I never filter and which I don't post to mailing lists or web
sites.