Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 06:03 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
> RedHat's business model is moving toward support services for enterprises
> and away from sale of boxed sets of CDs. I don't think it makes much
> sense for them to continue work on the RedHat Linux distribution, but I
> can see why they might want to pretend to do so. Their corporate customers
> probably wouldn't notice if RedHat started loading Debian onto the corporate
> computers, so long as Red Hat, the company, continued to provide support.
>
> I think they would save themselves a lot of head aches if they did move to
> Debian. This collective support of the RedHat distribution, without selling
> CDs looks to me like Debian done badly. It will wither away, and the people
> will drift into the Debian community.

It occurs to me that that might very well be a near-ideal and possibly
planned outcome. If I were running Red Hat, I would probably think
so.  No need to scent conspiracy theories -- it's not a bad approach
to transition: gives plenty of time for the two to grow towards a standard
(e.g. the LSB stuff), and then make the transition smooth for the end user.

Cheers,
Terry