Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:51:36 -0500
Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:55:47PM -0400, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Seems to me that for the first time debian is going to have real
> > competition in its own field.
> > Red Hat announced that they will join with fedora community and
> > produce the Red Hat Linux Project. So they will have almost the same
> > model of development that debian.
> > Isn't that amazing for a company?
>
> I would be a lot more amazed if they finally came out and admitted
> that they're not always doing good things for the community and that
> perhaps they should work WITH a project that's already in place, such
> as, oh... say... DEBIAN! :)
>
> As much as I like RH for advancing GNU/Linux in general, I think some
> of their business decisions aren't the greatest. Not to mention some
> of their compatibility issues. Does anyone remember gcc 2.96?
>
> Rather than trying to do what Debian has been doing for years, I'd
> much rather see them JOIN with Debian to further promote
> community-supported distros.
>
> --
> Alex Malinovich
> Support Free Software, delete your Windows partition TODAY!
> Encrypted mail preferred. You can get my public key from any of the
> pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837

Lawrence Lessig would have a lot to do with this move.
He appreciates the innovative power of the collective common community.
I notice though, on attempting to provide input into the 'Creative
Commons' educational licencing concept, and being locked out because I'm
not an educator, that the inclination is more towards gaining from that
innovative power, than contributing to it. Which is of course, where the
community gets its' power from.
So, no, I don't think that a RedHat merger with Debian would be a good
move just yet. Their stand against SCO, and etc., would be motivated by
a desire to protect their best interests first, and the communities'
second, if that.
Regards,

David.