Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 06:49:12AM +0800, David Palmer. wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:51:36 -0500
> Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:55:47PM -0400, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > Seems to me that for the first time debian is going to have real
> > > competition in its own field.
> > > Red Hat announced that they will join with fedora community and
> > > produce the Red Hat Linux Project. So they will have almost the same
> > > model of development that debian.
> > > Isn't that amazing for a company?
> >
> > I would be a lot more amazed if they finally came out and admitted
> > that they're not always doing good things for the community and that
> > perhaps they should work WITH a project that's already in place, such
> > as, oh... say... DEBIAN! :)
> >
> > As much as I like RH for advancing GNU/Linux in general, I think some
> > of their business decisions aren't the greatest. Not to mention some
> > of their compatibility issues. Does anyone remember gcc 2.96?

I started using Linux with a RH boxed set. I left and moved to Debian
because of gcc 2.96. Also, because of much more helpful email list.
Once I made the transistion, I never looked back. Maybe all distributions
were improving rapidly then, but my strong impression was that Debian
gave me *much* more control over my computer.

> Lawrence Lessig would have a lot to do with this move.
> He appreciates the innovative power of the collective common community.
> I notice though, on attempting to provide input into the 'Creative
> Commons' educational licencing concept, and being locked out because I'm
> not an educator, that the inclination is more towards gaining from that
> innovative power, than contributing to it. Which is of course, where the
> community gets its' power from.
> So, no, I don't think that a RedHat merger with Debian would be a good
> move just yet. Their stand against SCO, and etc., would be motivated by
> a desire to protect their best interests first, and the communities'
> second, if that.

RedHat's business model is moving toward support services for enterprises
and away from sale of boxed sets of CDs. I don't think it makes much
sense for them to continue work on the RedHat Linux distribution, but I
can see why they might want to pretend to do so. Their corporate customers
probably wouldn't notice if RedHat started loading Debian onto the corporate
computers, so long as Red Hat, the company, continued to provide support.

I think they would save themselves a lot of head aches if they did move to
Debian. This collective support of the RedHat distribution, without selling
CDs looks to me like Debian done badly. It will wither away, and the people
will drift into the Debian community.

Just my $.02 worth.

--
Paul E Condon