radeon opengl help

Hi folks, I am trying to understand how to get opengl working on my
compaq evo n1000v laptop with radeon M7 LW (7500) and it seems pretty
confusing. Can someone break it down for me a little bit? Here's what my
current understanding is:

A kernel module is required, my kernel (2.4.22) includes a radeon
module, will this do, or do I need one from somewhere else?

I need a recent XFree86, I've got 4.3.0 prev1 from experimental, but I
keep reading about DRI trunk, and I don't know what I should be using

I have the xlibmesa-* packages installed which is what I understand I
need

What's next? From what I can tell, I do not actually have accelerated
graphics working... glxinfo gives this:
libGL error: InitDriver failed
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2

Any suggestions or documentation anyone can give would be much
appreciated, documentation especially as I would like to actually
understand how all this stuff works...

Thanks,

Mark