Re: OT: Martin Krafft - mail bouncing

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:23:48 -0500
John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:

> Christoph Simon writes:
> > If your only local provider doubles price in a consumer product, what
> > would happen in your area?
>
> Nothing in particular, in general.  For example, there is only one
> drugstore in my village.  The owner is entirely free to set his prices
> however he wishes.  Same goes for my ISP.

One thing is to double prices and expose them _before_ you pay, and
another thing is to double prices you suddenly have to pay in
disagreement with a former contract. Maybe you are a lawyer, but for
my taste, these things stink like hell. Personally, I can't understand
what is legal if two parties agree to a set of conditions, that one
part can change these conditions arbitrarily, leaving the other with the
choices of not getting any service or accepting the abuse.

> > Would he get support of the local authorities?
>
> What do you mean by "support"?  The restrictions on monopolies have to
> do with such things as using monopoly power to unfairly prevent entry of
> competitors or to unfairly extend a monopoly to other markets.  Merely
> increasing prices is not illegal.

Support? Well, this is if the government grants permission to a
company to do what ever they want and/or a judge allowing things he
wouldn't allow a smaller company.

Let's see: You've got a contract with me, paying me 100 monetary units
for a well defined service. A few months later, I tell you, that you
get only 10% of that service, but if you want to have the full
service, you can contract another product which costs 250 units. As
you have no choice, you accept to pay 250. From then on, I'll reduce
service from time to time raising the price significantly, and as time
goes by, I'll change name and service in the near future. Maybe this
is legal, but it stinks. I can't do that. Telefónica can.

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@kiosknet.com.br