Re: Pinning question

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:59:57 -0600 Jacob Anawalt wrote:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200304/msg04011.html
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:16:11 +0100 Colin Watson wrote:
>  > ...
>  > I didn't realize you were interested in strange multi-release stuff. I
>  > don't trust pinning and avoid it like the plague. :)
>
> (I thought he had said something even better about pinning more recently
> but I can't find it.)

He said he wished it didn't exist.

It is indeed an *extremely* dangerous tool, almost guaranteed to render a
system unusable if not used *exactly* right. And besides, there are much
safer ways to reach the intended objectives.

I've been using apt pinning since I first became aware of it (a few years
ago), and it has been serving me well. But I understand the risks involved,
and I make sure I understand the consequences whenever I make use of it.

Apt pinning seems best suited for a testing system where you want to
occasionally leech a few packages from unstable. Using it on stable
distributions is a foolhardy thing to do, and doomed to certain failure.

--
Carlos "edge-walker" Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/