Re: apt/dpkg package files (status, available)

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 01:55:16AM +0100, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:16:11 +0100 Colin Watson wrote:
> > I didn't realize you were interested in strange multi-release stuff. I
> > don't trust pinning and avoid it like the plague. :)
[...]
> Are you referring to bugs in the apt pinning mechanism I should be aware
> of? I have cautious pinning settings which have till now prevented apt
> from going farther than testing unless explicitly requested to.

I'm just not convinced it's a useful thing to do. Apart from grabbing
the occasional package with virtually no dependencies, if, say, you're
running stable and try to install a package from testing then you're
probably going to end up upgrading libc6, and at that point I figure you
might as well just run testing. Same for testing -> unstable during
periods when they're significantly skewed. Serious instability, when it
exists, tends to be in the core rather than in the periphery, but mixing
distributions usually ends up having to go for the newer and more
unstable core.

I much prefer backporting packages by building them from source. This
does require a little more development experience, though.

Still, if it works for you, fine. :) I'm just saying why I usually take
a different approach.

Cheers,