Pinning question

Hi, I've been trying to figure this out for a few days now, and can't
seem to get it to work.   I want to pin not based on [stable, testing,
unstable], but based on distribution release, in my case, [woody,
potato].

I want to have a mainly potato system, with select packages from
woody.  I have the main, contrib, and non-free sections for both in
sources.list.  This is an exerpt from the man page I thought was
relevant:

"If the first character of the specification is a digit then it is
considered to be a release version match, otherwise a release label
match. Specifications which contain equals are full release data
matches and are a comma seperated list of one letter keys followed by
an equals then by the string."

I thought this was telling me I could do something like this:

/etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release potato
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: *
Pin: release woody
Pin-Priority: 200

This however didn't change anything, it still wanted to take all the
woody versions of packages, the same as before the preferences file
existed.

I also tried pinning this way, as also described in the man page:

Package: *
Pin: release v=2.2*
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: *
Pin: release v=3.0*
Pin-Priority: 200

This also didn't work, as described above.  I also tried other ways,
but these two I though would be correct.

I assume this sort of thing is possible, what am I doing wrong?

TIA.