Re: Trouble with DRI (WAS: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New ATI drivers available)

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:57:36 +0200,
Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:49:21 +0800,
> csj <csj@zapo.net> wrote:

[...]

> > Also I get my opensource radeon DRI drivers from a Debian
> > maintainer's unofficial "site":
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk/
> > http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid/
> >
> > The first URL is for xfree86 4.2, the other for xfree86 4.3.  I
> > had to eliminate the kernel options that would compile the
> > kernel's native radeon drivers (which would would be replaced by
> > dri-trunk's own kernel modules).
> >
> > To be sure I'm running Daenzer's unofficial debs on top of the
> > official sid X 4.2.  The debs allow me to play Chromium and
> > GLTron with decent explosions.  Since the Radeon VE doesn't have
> > TCL (whatever that means) I get worse fps (100 fps) when running
> > glxgears under DRI than when running it under plain X (200 fps).
> > I think Chromium is a better test for 3D acceleration because it
> > allows you to waste your time in a more entertaining manner.
>
> ..huh?  :-)  Any chance these work with these cards:
>  cat /proc/pci |tail -n 7

[...]

>     VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage II+
> 215GTB [Mach64 GTB] (rev 154).

Well, that says it.  I used to have a Rage card.  What you
probably need is the mach64 fork of the DRI fork.  I forgot the
home page for that one.  But our friendly Debian maintainer also
has the modules properly debianized:

http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-mach64/
http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-mach64-sid/

[...]

> ...???  Needed for http://flightgear.org/ ...

Beware, the Rage (or at least its opensource Linux drivers)
appears to be incapable of handling Chromium in any but the
smallest and ugliest video mode (and even then it has problems
coping with the explosions).  I can play graphically-impaired
GLTron with it though.