Re: Trouble with DRI (WAS: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New ATI drivers available)

At Mon, 8 Sep 2003 05:20:28 +0200 (CEST),
Roberto Sanchez wrote:

[...]

> OK.  I'm hoping that someone can help me out here.  This
> morning I downloaded the new Knoppix CD that came out on
> Friday.  I burned it and used it to boot my machine, and to my
> surprise it recognized the nForce2 AGPGART and even
> successfully loaded the DRI drivers.  Not only that, but the
> frame rate in glxgears was like 2500 fps, versus 1925 that I
> get with the new closed-source ATI driver.  So I set about
> duplicating Knoppix's setup, but nothing worked.
>
> I added this line to sources.list:
>
> deb http://penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386/ ./

I used to download my source from that site, when
Daniel-san. first took it upon himself to create XFree86 4.3 for
the terminally impatient.  Now my 4.3 packages come from:

http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xfree86/

I don't know how unofficial that is.  But there are near nightly
builds of the debian diff's to the X sources.  So somebody must
be maintaining them.  To be sure, I take the trouble of compiling
from the source.

> Which got me the same exact XFree86 that Knoppix uses (I had
> built my own packages from the sources and patches on the
> X-Strike Force page) back on July 22.  I also downloaded the
> latest Radeon tarball from dri.sourceforge.net.  Nothing I did
> got DRI working with the open source drivers.  I also tried the
> xlibmesa4-drm-source package, but that did not help either.

[...]

Did you try "lsmod" on both machines?  Did you make sure the
binary stuff was totally purged from your system?  I ran into
some problem when I replaced my NVidia with the Radeon.  The
binary drivers at that time wouldn't surrender without a fight
(something to do with "diversions" IRC).

Also I get my opensource radeon DRI drivers from a Debian
maintainer's unofficial "site":

http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk/
http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid/

The first URL is for xfree86 4.2, the other for xfree86 4.3.  I
had to eliminate the kernel options that would compile the
kernel's native radeon drivers (which would would be replaced by
dri-trunk's own kernel modules).

To be sure I'm running Daenzer's unofficial debs on top of the
official sid X 4.2.  The debs allow me to play Chromium and
GLTron with decent explosions.  Since the Radeon VE doesn't have
TCL (whatever that means) I get worse fps (100 fps) when running
glxgears under DRI than when running it under plain X (200 fps).
I think Chromium is a better test for 3D acceleration because it
allows you to waste your time in a more entertaining manner.