Trouble with DRI (WAS: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New ATI drivers available)

 --- csj <csj@zapo.net> escribió:
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 03:08:11 +0200 (CEST), Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>
> > I just checked out the ATI website, and they have some new
> > linux drivers.  The new version is 3.2.5, with versions for
> > Xfree86 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3.  I just installed the drivers and
> > built the new kernel module, and I can already see that things
> > have improved (no more segfaults when running fgl_glxgears, and
> > about a 2% boost in fps in the vanilla glxgears program).  I
> > think that they are well woth the effort, especially if you
> > have a newer card.
>
> Since you bothered announcing this, a direct link would have been
> nice ;-).
>
> How superior are these drivers to the opensource drivers produced
> by the DRI project <http://dri.sourceforge.net/>?  Also, what
> version of gcc did you use?  I have a lowly Radeon 7000.

OK.  I'm hoping that someone can help me out here.  This morning I downloaded
the new Knoppix CD that came out on Friday.  I burned it and used it to boot
my machine, and to my surprise it recognized the nForce2 AGPGART and even
successfully loaded the DRI drivers.  Not only that, but the frame rate in
glxgears was like 2500 fps, versus 1925 that I get with the new closed-source
ATI driver.  So I set about duplicating Knoppix's setup, but nothing worked.

I added this line to sources.list:

deb http://penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386/ ./

Which got me the same exact XFree86 that Knoppix uses (I had built my own
packages from the sources and patches on the X-Strike Force page) back on
July 22.  I also downloaded the latest Radeon tarball from dri.sourceforge.net.
Nothing I did got DRI working with the open source drivers.  I also tried the
xlibmesa4-drm-source package, but that did not help either.

The real killer is that in every case X started clean, and with no errors in
the log file, but no Direct Rendering.  I tried nearly every possible
permutation of the radeon.o kernel module, the radeon_dri.so and radeon_drv.o
X modules, and the libGL.so.1.2 library, using everything from the prepackaged
versions to downloading the latest CVS and comiling.

I even booted Knoppix again (just to make sure it wasn't my imagination) and
it worked perfectly.  I even mounted my Debian partition and compared the
contects of /var/log/XFree86.0.log and of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and in both
cases the files were practically identical.  I also never received an error,
a failed modules insertion into X or the kernel, or anything else that would
indicate a problem.  Only no direct rendering.

Anyway, I am back to the binary ATi driver for now, but I am hoping someone
can provide some insight into this.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es