Re: Trouble with DRI (WAS: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New ATI drivers available)

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:49:21 +0800,
csj <csj@zapo.net> wrote in message
<[🔎] 87iso2deny.wl@antares.localhost.invalid>:

> At Mon, 8 Sep 2003 05:20:28 +0200 (CEST),
> Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > OK.  I'm hoping that someone can help me out here.  This
> > morning I downloaded the new Knoppix CD that came out on
> > Friday.  I burned it and used it to boot my machine, and to my
> > surprise it recognized the nForce2 AGPGART and even
> > successfully loaded the DRI drivers.  Not only that, but the
> > frame rate in glxgears was like 2500 fps, versus 1925 that I
> > get with the new closed-source ATI driver.  So I set about
> > duplicating Knoppix's setup, but nothing worked.
> >
> > I added this line to sources.list:
> >
> > deb http://penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386/ ./
>
> I used to download my source from that site, when
> Daniel-san. first took it upon himself to create XFree86 4.3 for
> the terminally impatient.  Now my 4.3 packages come from:
>
> http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xfree86/
>
> I don't know how unofficial that is.  But there are near nightly
> builds of the debian diff's to the X sources.  So somebody must
> be maintaining them.  To be sure, I take the trouble of compiling
> from the source.
>
> > Which got me the same exact XFree86 that Knoppix uses (I had
> > built my own packages from the sources and patches on the
> > X-Strike Force page) back on July 22.  I also downloaded the
> > latest Radeon tarball from dri.sourceforge.net.  Nothing I did
> > got DRI working with the open source drivers.  I also tried the
> > xlibmesa4-drm-source package, but that did not help either.
>
> [...]
>
> Did you try "lsmod" on both machines?  Did you make sure the
> binary stuff was totally purged from your system?  I ran into
> some problem when I replaced my NVidia with the Radeon.  The
> binary drivers at that time wouldn't surrender without a fight
> (something to do with "diversions" IRC).
>
> Also I get my opensource radeon DRI drivers from a Debian
> maintainer's unofficial "site":
>
> http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk/
> http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid/
>
> The first URL is for xfree86 4.2, the other for xfree86 4.3.  I
> had to eliminate the kernel options that would compile the
> kernel's native radeon drivers (which would would be replaced by
> dri-trunk's own kernel modules).
>
> To be sure I'm running Daenzer's unofficial debs on top of the
> official sid X 4.2.  The debs allow me to play Chromium and
> GLTron with decent explosions.  Since the Radeon VE doesn't have
> TCL (whatever that means) I get worse fps (100 fps) when running
> glxgears under DRI than when running it under plain X (200 fps).
> I think Chromium is a better test for 3D acceleration because it
> allows you to waste your time in a more entertaining manner.

..huh?  :-)  Any chance these work with these cards:
 cat /proc/pci |tail -n 7
  Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage IIC
AGP (rev 122).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=8.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xea000000 [0xeaffffff].
      I/O at 0xd000 [0xd0ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe9000000 [0xe9000fff].

...and:

  Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage II+
215GTB [Mach64 GTB] (rev 154).
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=8.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0ffffff].
      I/O at 0x6600 [0x66ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe1000000 [0xe1000fff].

...???  Needed for http://flightgear.org/ ...
  Scenarios always come in sets of three: