Re: glx and xfree86 not working: why?

At Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:45:34 +0100,
Anthony Campbell wrote:

[...]

> Thanks for this helpful reply. I thought Matrox was supposed to
> be well supported (partly the reason I bought it); anyway, I'm
> using the drivers supplied by Matrox in place of the native X
> ones. As I don't play games I don't suppose I need to bother
> too much about glx but I'll look into it further out of
> curiosity.

From what I've read in the MPlayer and Xine mailing lists, I
think the Matrox is an excellent choice for watching videos
(e.g. VCDs, DVDs).  It's the 3D that's not well supported or
nonexistent.

In terms of 3rd party opensource 2D and 3D drivers, ATI cards are
perhaps the "best" supported (I'm talking relative here!).  If
opensource isn't a requirement, NVidia regularly releases binary
drivers that provide decent, if somewhat buggy, 2D and 3D
performance.

The worst experience I've had is with the Savage.  This might
change soon, as I've read news that VIA has released the source
(or at least the specs) for the Savage.