Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:32:08 +0200
Anders Arnholm <anders@arnholm.nu> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 08:33:40AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 14:07, Pigeon wrote:
> > set tabstop=4

> So thats why all code form other Python programers look like shit and
> dont line up, not that a tab is 8 spaces wide and will stay that way for
> ever everything else is PLAIN fucking evil!!! Or as the vim help file
> puts it.

>   Note: Setting 'tabstop' to any other value than 8 can make your file
>   appear wrong in many places (e.g., when printing it).

    Nice try.  You trimmed "expandtab" from the quote.

'expandtab' 'et'        boolean (default off)
                        local to buffer
                        {not in Vi}
        In Insert mode: Use the appropriate number of spaces to insert a
        <Tab>.  Spaces are used in indents with the '>' and '<' commands and
        when 'autoindent' is on.  To insert a real tab when 'expandtab' is
        on, use CTRL-V<Tab>.  See also |:retab| and |ins-expandtab|.
        NOTE: This option is reset when 'compatible' is set.