Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 08:33:40AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 14:07, Pigeon wrote:
> >
> > - There isn't an explicit end-of-block delimiter. A tab to start a
> > block; what ends it? A tab that isn't there? Yuck.
>
> As a long-time Python programmer, I must say, "Huh?".  What's
> so hard about this:
> i = 1
> for i in range(10):
>     i = i * i
> print i

Actually, that's quite a good example. Expectations lead me to
misinterpret that on my first pass: initially it looks like the
standard for loop to print squares of numbers from 1 to 10 that comes
shortly after "Hello world" in the introduction to more or less any
language, slightly misindented and missing the termination of the for
loop. But it isn't, is it - it throws away all the intermediate squares
and only prints the last one.

(runs it to check conclusions)

Oh, that's interesting - the for loop's running from 0 to 9, so it
prints "81", not "100".

(makes a guess)

...and our standard print-squares-from-1-to-10 example seems to be:

for i in range(1,11):
	i = i * i
	print i

> You'd get used to The Python Way really quickly.  Everyone does.

Sure, familiarity counts for a lot, as the above example illustrates.

> > Guess I'll be sticking to C for a while yet...
>
> Try Python.  You might like it.  Really!

Given that my guess of how to make the for loop run from 1 to 10 was
right first time without looking at any docs, I'm inclined to believe
you may have a point there!

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons