Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 04:41, Steve Lamb wrote:
--snip--
>     Yeah, on supported languages.  I don't see the point of having a tool to
> shoehorn the code into one bracket style and another tool to shoehorn it into
> a different bracket style (and hope it remains decent) when one could just get
> rid of the bloody brackets and be done with it.  Hence my last stanza of
> pseudo code showing all of the different styles being all the same code
> without the brackets.

But see my last paragraph in my previous post. Those brackets which make
things so hard for you to read are the same brackets that make it easy
for me to read. I look at Python code and I get lost. I guess my eyes
are out of alignment or something, because I can't just look at
indentation and see what corresponds to what. (Especially so with 4
nested ifs, loops, etc) With bracketed languages, however, I can just
keep a count of brackets in my head and always know where I am.

Though I'm afraid that I do at least have to agree on the multiple ways
of bracing. I much prefer method C in your descriptions, and method A I
can deal with, but B drives me up a wall! Now if someone would devise a
language with an extremely solid OO structure, good garbage collection,
easy interfaces to C libraries, and most importantly, forced type C
bracketing, I'd be in heaven! :)
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837