Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 01:55, Steve Lamb wrote:
--snip--
>     Hence it is not other people's style I dislike, it is the freakin' braces.
startHolyWar(emacs-vs-vi);
return 0;

startHolyWar(typeOfWar) {
  do {
    print "Insert new response: ";
    $response = <STDIN>;
  } until ($response =~ /[Hh]itler|[Nn]azis?/);
}

That's only because you're not using the One True Editor! :) If you're
using emacs with a good mode for the language a lot of that is taken
care of for you. I've never seen anything that comes anywhere even close
to cperl though. I type:

if

I get

if (<cursor placed here) {
  <later cursor position>
}

After filling in the condition, I hit enter and my cursor gets moved to
the "later" position. That way, there's nothing to hate about brackets.
:)

And I must say that of what I've seen of Python, I get very easily
confused. Trying to keep track of levels of loops and if's based on
indentation just doesn't cut it for me. I deal much better with counting
brackets or, better yet, having The One True Editor highlight
corresponding brackets as I pass over their partners. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837